I did some serious fabric shopping today, which is pretty huge for me. Aside from a few lengths of fabric earmarked for Lila or husband clothes and some truly bizarre odds and ends, I have no stash. It took a long time to sew down.
Of course, that means I have to actually go out and find the fabric I want for a particular project, and I have several in beginning stages at the moment…
This is a very useful fabric. I picked up a meter of this stretch no-wale cord (?) in pale teal and since made it into an extremely cute, tough skirt which is yet unblogged. It’s rather heavy with low pile- cotton and lycra. I want to use the pink to make a winter version of the same Burda pattern I’ve been working with in denim. Previously tested pattern + previously tested fabric = safe and easy win. I haven’t decided what to do with the khaki, but at $8/m (veerrrry cheap for a good bottom weight here) I had to pick up a pants-length. Yes, I know- and so the re-stashing begins, right?
Megan! Picking your dress colors gave me a headache! I’m terribly pleased I have my hands on three bits of cotton sateen close enough to Megan’s dress colors that I won’t be embarrassed to call it Megan’s Mod dress. I like that I can’t see the back of the dress on her. That means I can make it up as I please…
This… I wish I could eat it. It’s a linen-cotton slub knit with a very pleasing texture. I suspect the texture will become more pronounced after a few hot washes- the linen will shrink more than the cotton, and it should become quite soft and floaty. I plan to use it for The Flutter-By Tee, March’s Hack. (Couldn’t get the Angel Top out of my mind, Leila and Leah!)
This silk twill is most satisfactory. I *really* wanted to buy some a few months ago but a combination of an empty bank account and no project for it meant I left it at the store. They still had some today! I plan to use it for Sybil’s blouse– the one with the lovely simple border bands. The plain sateen to the right is the tentative border fabric, even though it doesn’t match any of the pinks exactly. What’s your opinion? Keep looking for another solid, or use it?
Be still my beating heart… I am sure I asked for 1.5m, I was charged for 1.5m but I brought home much more than 1.5m, more like 2.5. I didn’t notice until after washing, and I’m not heartbroken over it. I’ll ring the shop tomorrow. That means I can make two blouses (probably) with this fabric!!
Everything is in the wash (even the silk, all the reds and pinks together..). Tomorrow I have my weird new shorts to show you. I hardly want to take them off.
By the way, I took down the BCT pattern. It’s been getting increased traffic lately and that makes me nervous. It’s one thing to mess around with a pattern experiment and a few beta versions, but I’d really prefer to have a *nice* final version of the pattern up if it’s going to be downloaded frequently. She’ll be back by the 14th.