The sun here hurts my skin. After suffering through three summers, I decided to make a sun jacket from hemp silk. I like to gamble, in this case I married an unknown garment with an unknown fabric. I could have lost. Like a good gambler, I hedged my bets by using a simple pattern.
I won big- I barely take it off. The fabric wears well, the satin side slips deliciously over my skin and the outside wears tough with a pretty texture. The hemp allows the slightest breeze to penetrate. I suspect part of the jacket love comes from the fit, especially over my difficult lower back:
I thought to make another exactly like it, with a few tweaks to the front fit but that’s boring- especially with so many gorgeous jacket patterns available. Besides, I want more details.
Instead, I’m working on Advance 2690, View A. I knew I needed to alter the pattern and decided to use my 4044 as a reference.
This will be a dry technical post for pattern geeks.
The Advance pattern has more pieces with a hip-length peplum and waist seam. I started alterations on the back. The back shoulder and armscythes were similar enough to allow me to focus solely on the lower back.
I drew a line straight out from the bottom of the armscythe across both pieces, then measured down from that to find the correct CB length. Next, I compared the length of the side seams. Finally, I measured the newly marked seam line on 2690 and compared it to the back waist measurement (shown by an orange line on 4044).
Sudden realization: 4044 was a modernized re-print with ease built in to the design. 2690 is pure WW2 with zero ease. While the pattern sizing indicates a 28″ waist and I usually take a 28″, this jacket would not fit me without the help of a girdle. I will wear them with pretty dresses, but I balk at daily wear.
I eliminated one of the back tucks to make both waist measurements match. I found it handy to have a pattern on hand with the perfect amount of ease already, no guesswork.
Despite the differences in cut, once I pinned the peplum to 2960 and performed my alterations, the two patterns looked remarkably similar. I added ease to the peplum piece, using the 4044 measurements as a guide.
The front worried me less. I made a standard 1.5″ FBA. FBA’s larger than an inch or so tend to distort the armscythe, I often find they bite ever so slightly into my front armpit. I tried smoothing the armscythe slightly, I’ll use the pen line as my cutting line and hope for the best.
When I perform a FBA, I usually make a new side dart by simply bringing together the cut edges of the pattern. On my 4044 jacket, I noticed the dart hung too low and seemed to distort the side seam. This time I made sure to re-mark my bust apex and the side dart points right to it.
To decide the width of the dart, I folded it out until the front side seam matched the back side seam. I compared the front waist width on 2960 with the front waist width on 4044 and added slightly to the side seam while reducing the width of the front tuck. Likewise, I added width to the front peplum piece.
Pinning or taping tissue paper gives me hives (if I badly alter a tissue pattern, I can’t start over) but sewing together my polytrace patterns before I cut my fabric acts as a happy medium between a muslin or no muslin.
The pull in the back comes from the tuck, and will work fine in the finished jacket. I’m happy with the fit but not the photography. My usual photographer has gone away for 9 days
on vacation on an ecological field assignment. He spent the morning snorkeling here:
I must make do the best I can for photography until he returns.
Besides refining the FBA, I wanted to allow my arms freer range of movement in my new jacket. 4044 slightly restricts forward and downward reaching, occasionally annoying. As the intrepid wife of a tropical explorer, I must be able to swing from vines, ride camels, climb pyramids and brandish my whip without shucking my outerwear.