Oh sweet pattern matching:
I centered each piece over the pagoda vertically, and I matched them horizontally based on the placement of the magnetic button. I think it worked well.
I’m not much of a stasher. I bought this fabric years ago with the idea to make a corset. I carted it around with me to England, back to the U.S., and here to Oz. This and my tapestry work were the only textiles I immigrated with. All that time I assumed it was a poly, I didn’t care because the colors and pattern clutched at me. When confronted with the fabric choices while making my PR, I decided to burn some of the fabric. Smell of burning hair, crumbling ash? Great snakes, we have silk!
Every time I took out the little piece of fabric over the years, I would smile and laugh about such a pretty piece of fabric covered with dogs, pheasants and insects the same size as pheasants. It has a sort of understated whimsy. What are those men in the pagoda up to? Talk? Meditation? Teaching? Rocking the ganj? It’s really up for interpretation.
This motif- so pleasant. Why the bells on the gate? Where did the picnickers go? What kind of tree is that, and where can I get one?
I used some gold poly taffeta, the same as the flowers in my fascinator. I’m also using it to line my red brocade cincher belt, but after that never again will I work with such disgusting fabric, I don’t care how well it coordinates.
I’m experimenting with purse engineering as a side project. I decided I don’t like stiff fusibles- they tend to crease unless I fuse them to a piece of canvas and use the whole thing as an interlining which is as time-consuming as it is bulky.
This Alter-Madison bag already uses lightweight boning where the flap attaches to the purse. I decided to bone all around the bottom edge, and each seam on the side as well. This would have been easier had I decided to put the boning in flat. I used Rigilene because it’s cheap and I can sew through it, eliminating boning channels.
Additionally, I used a non-fusible low-loft batting. It is thin and dense, rather likes to stand up on its own. Once I had my “bag-cutting” hat on at 9pm Saturday night, I discovered I had rather less of this batting than I thought. I made the bag shorter to accommodate my batting.
I fused a little bit of fusible non-woven to the flap lining, and an additional square of heavy interfacing which I stitched down. Too bad my aim was a little off:
My inner Apollonian artisan really, really wants the button centered in my interfacing square.
I used black piping on the flap to frame the pagoda and keep the troublesome gold taffeta from rolling over. After everything it put me through, I wasn’t about to trust it.
Hand-stitched the lining in, took about 15 minutes and gave such a pretty finish. It’s not like I could stitch through the brocade without looking ick.
Great bag, I feel like a lady. I haven’t had a “nice” bag since highschool, and I finally used (some) of that brocade I’ve loved longer than I knew my husband. I have the idea to make a hat with the leftovers, but it can rest for now.
This, the fascinator, cincher belt, shopping bag, hemp sun hat. I can’t decide which to finish next! No pics with the dress until they’re all finished and my dress is blacker. I’m on day 2 of stewing, will probably give it another night.