Kind, generous people out in the real world who know of my vintage pattern fixation often loan or give me some real gems. Often I smile politely, nod and appreciate that they thought of me. It is rather kind. I pass on patterns not to my taste to my students. When this one came into my possession a few months ago, I smiled politely and threw it into my “meh” pile.
What was I thinking?! I’ll answer that, I wasn’t thinking. My brain so overloaded with organic wool sourcing and Art Deco coats, I couldn’t appreciate the subtle simplicity of this late 60’s frock. The combination of neck darts and princess lines will create a gorgeous shape in an unexpected way. Bell sleeves? Love them. Bell Sleeves teamed with a mini-flared skirt? I’m not too old for the occasional mini just yet. POCKETS!
Of course, this one must wait until I finish my coat (nearing completion by the way, expect it in the next few days!) and other wardrobe pieces, but I’m already dreaming of fabrics. The fact I have a closet full of black dresses doeesn’t deter me from making more. I have a classy retro-modern black silk sheath. (Good for “Sexy” and “Fierce”) I have a black wool and white linen 1950’s tuxedo dress. (Good for “Regal,” “Formal,” “Fierce” and “Eccentric”) I have a milennial go-anywhere black knit dress. (“Versatile” and “Never Wrinkles”)
Surely I need this dress in a black rayon double-knit? (“Glamorous” and definitely “Eccentric”) Imagine the ooh-la-la factor when teamed with an Audrey Hepburn up-do, heavily penciled eyelids, false lashes and nude lipstick. Tiny brocade purse, and some great shoes.
Styled differently, I think this dress as an LBD might work for casual. In a bright color, perhaps sleeveless, this might prove a great day-dress.
And Surprise! When I opened the pattern I found a bonus cape pattern from Butterick. No envelope, but it looks like all the pieces belong to me:
(I thought I’d make tenets of happy body image a weekly thing, rather than rabbiting on about it constantly. The weekly frock coat update is not necessary this week. I made beautiful cuffs and facings, sewn and pressed and understitched to the sleeve, and I can *Not* get the sleeve to look right. Given our 25 degree C + weather lately, I’m not wanting to go to the trouble of re-cutting the upper sleeve. I’m pretty sure I know how I screwed up, but I just don’t want to tackle it now.)