Simplicity 2758, before finish work. This morning I had the skirt out on the table, fiddling with the pleat. Husband (who not only green-lighted the black pleat, but encouraged the use of black contrast) made a comment about Easter Island faces. The cheeky boy suggested I use a black border on the bottom for a mouth.
Sometimes you never know what offspring the fabric and pattern marriage will produce ahead of time. I worried I made a ghastly mistake and contemplated sending this one to the orphanage.
The two black rectangles are single-welt pockets with careful inner construction a la Kenneth King’s Cool Couture. I used the patch pocket bands from the pattern to make the welts. Unfortunately, I also used their pocket placement. It turns out the pocket placement is rather too high for ordinary people. I can’t really slip my hands into the pockets. Perhaps that has to do with the depth of the welt, but I can’t write it off to that completely.
Learn from my mistake, check your pocket placement before you spend three hours making pockets!
I decided to finish the disappointing skirt anyway. After finish:
The picture of the front is more true to color than the bottom. Again, apologies for the photo quality.
This skirt is rather shorter than what I usually make. I didn’t exactly alter the pattern, but I changed some design features. The button bands are functional. On the side with the zipper, I stitched it in such a way that it functions as the waistband closure rather than a hook and eye.
- Welts instead of patches. I love welts right now. These turned out strong, solid, and just the right depth. If only I could slip my hands in easily!
- I edge-stitched each side of the front pleat seam before I put in the pleat facing. This permanently sets the edges of pleats.
- I lined it with fabric stolen from the lining of a skirt I no longer wear because since I made it I improved my skills to the point I can’t bear to wear the skirt anymore. I might use the exterior for some nice shorts.
- I used no-crush waistband interfacing.
- I used the skirt tabs from View C on my View E skirt.
I love the waistband interfacing since trying it out on Husband’s shorts. It comes in 1″ wide strips. I press the waistband in half, line up the edge of the interfacing to the center fold with the interfacing to the inside of the waistband. Then I stitch right along the edge near the fold and sew the waistband on normally. Simple.
The interfacing should not be sewn into a seam. It makes a funny mess. I stitched the inside waistband edge by hand.
Invisible zipper, waistband, lining all tucked together neatly.
I like the skirt now. This is the first piece for my wardrobe which I did not make a plan for because I hate making storyboards. I dyed this fabric myself, it is Lilac idye on organic cotton. It will be interesting to see whether this “tailored casual” skirt will put up with the washing machine. It must. I plan to try other “structured wash and wear” until I get the alchemy correct.