Great pattern. VPLL does a beautiful repro, and this one was a nice pattern to begin with. Unlike so many 30’s patterns, this goes together simply and logically, with good instructions. I recommend for the intermediate sewist.
I used a scrap of Organic Cotton canvas for the exterior, some crinoline for the brim, fusible haircloth for the crown, and gingham for the lining. I used some pretty grosgrain as the stay, and some nice grosgrain to make a bit of trim for the exterior. I top-stitched the seams on the hat, I think that helped smooth it out. I top-stitched the edge of the brim as well; now it ripples. The effect is acceptable. I also used my wing needle and some hem-stitching around the edge of the brim. It worked really well and hem-stitching is a 30’s embellishment.
The crown by itself rather resembles a bathing cap. I thought I should take in the seam to make it fit my head. Next time I’ll play with the seam after I put on the brim, I think I made the crown a little too shallow.
The initial sewing went together in an evening. The lining and the ribbon stay need to be slip-stitched in by hand, which I find pleasant. I recommend trimming the seams very well before attaching the lining.
When I make this again, I will make the brim slightly wider and probably use several layers of crinoline or some buckram. I want a “hatty” hat. This one is nice, but a little slouchy- fine for a little cotton hat. It is a great base from which to start, and an easy first hat project.