My MIL’s mother, Billie, passed away recently. MIL told me that every year at Christmas, her mother would give her some money and say to her that she should treat herself to a nice top and skirt, something “smart and feminine.” MIL is a biologist. She and her husband also run an organic farm. She has never done “smart and feminine.”
Now here we are with the MIL wardrobe project. After some initial setbacks, I sent to Gorgeous Fabrics for some swatches, trolled PR for universally acceptable patterns and came up with some ideas. Tonight she and I came up with the (prioritized, of course) plan:
- Vogue 8329 in Black Doubleknit- 3/4 sleeves, and a collar.
- Vogue 8603 in Black Organic Cotton- Straight black skirt, perfect fit, incredible fabric, versatile.
- Jalie 2794 in Turquoise Double Knit- Short sleeved sweetheart neckline
- Simplicity 4076 in Bright Aqua Double Knit- View B, most likely, perhaps with cap rather than flutter sleeves.
- KS 3740 in Peacock Uber Soft T-shirting- Cowl neck, 3/4 or cap sleeves OR
- Simplicity 4076 in Peacock Uber Soft T-shirting- Knot front, flutter sleeves (?)
- Jalie 2794 in Bold Boho Panel Print- This is the wild card, she’s willing to see how it looks and trust me that I know what I’m talking about.
- Simplicity 2758 in Denim colored linen/rayon blend- half circle skirt with no pockets.
Personally, I really like the KS pattern and think it is something just a little bit more distinctive than the norm, and different from the other tops. The Uber soft T-shirting lives up to its name, and has a gorgeous texture. It isn’t open weave exactly, more like the needles used to knit it were of a slightly larger gauge than normal. I want to order some black for my own cowl neck. However, I have to admit that she’s way more excited about the Simplicity top pattern, and that pattern is very versatile and well-reviewed. The Jalie is also incredibly exciting. To my great surprise, the Wrap Dress has grown on her immeasurably, and will be the first piece I execute. I already ordered the Vogue patterns during their $3.99 sale.
The fabrics might change, I’m still shopping now that I have a good idea of what colors and textures.
This seems a long list, but the pieces are very simple. As long as I lay the groundwork to be sure of fit, each piece will come together in an evening or two. The wrap dress will undoubtedly take a little longer than that. The more irritating part will be all the ordering, etc that must happen because I live 3 hours past the edge of the world and haven’t found anything local and suitable.
I do so love having a plan.